- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident
- You must have worked/lived in Gaston County for 6 months
Ability to Pay
- Income – Must be stable and within the 30% -60% range of HUD area median income for family size. Income Requirement Chart
- Budget – Mortgage payments will be no more than 30% of the applicant’s gross monthly income. Applicant will only be approved to purchase a home if their combined Habitat mortgage payment and total monthly debt expenses combined is less than or equal to 43% of their gross monthly income (debt-to-income ratio).
- Delinquent Debt – No more than $2,000 in medical collections No more than $2,000 in non-medical collections All delinquent debt must be paid off before purchasing your home.
- Outstanding Debt – No new consumer debt should be incurred during the homeownership program.
- Bankruptcy – Must wait two years after being discharged and reestablishing good credit to apply.
Need for Housing
- Living in overcrowded housing
- Living in substandard housing
- Paying more than 30% of gross income on rent
- Being a resident of public housing
- Do not own a home
Willingness to Partner
- Household must complete sweat equity hours
- Have lived or worked in Gaston County for the past six months
- Committed to a drug-free community and no serious criminal history
- Legal U. S. resident
- Valid NC Driver Licenses or Valid NC State issued ID
- Social Security Card
- Seperation or Divorce Papers
- 2 months of check stubs ( 2 pay stubs if paid monthly, 4 if paid bi weekly or semi monthly, 8 if paid weekly)
- Employment Verification (This is needed for each job you hold)
- Social Security, SSI, VA, Pension or Disability Income Documents
- Government Assistance: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Food stamps and / or WIC, Section 8 rent support
- Child Support Documentation (Child Support Order or Non-Court Ordered)
- Alimony Documentation (Court Ordered or Non-Court Ordered)
- Landlord Reference (Provided with the application)
- Rental Documentation / Lease Agreement
- All Monthly Bills
- Bank Statements (2 months)
- $35 Application Fee – Covers credit check, background check, judgement check, and sex offender check CASH or CHECK ONLY
- w2 (last 2 years)
- Tax Return (last 2 years)
- Letter detailing your desire to join the Habitat Homeownership Program
Starting your application
Applications may be requested during our application periods that are generally held in the spring and fall. Each application period will also include an information session. Completed applications, along with all required documentation, must be returned by the deadline printed on the application.
If you have any questions about the application process or the application itself, please contact Jeannie Kirby, Homeowner Services Coordinator, at 704-864-6536 ext. 115 or email firstname.lastname@example.org