AmeriCorps National Service
AmeriCorps is a national service program that provides thousands of Americans of all ages and backgrounds with educational awards in exchange for a year or two of community service. AmeriCorps members help meet the nation’s critical needs in areas of public safety, education, human needs and the environment. Read more about the AmeriCorps program.
Habitat Gaston partners with AmeriCorps to serve more families and to provide AmeriCorps volunteers with an experience to make a difference in the lives of others.
Habitat Gaston & AmeriCorps
- To get things done by building and renovating houses with low-income families
- To strengthen communities by enabling Habitat Charlotte to utilize volunteers more effectively, bringing together diverse partners in a common cause
- To increase Habitat Gaston’s ability to serve more families through resource development
- To develop a sense of citizenship through service, reflection and the inspiration gained by working alongside homeowners, volunteers, donors, and our team members.
Job Description – Construction Crew Leader – 2020-21
For one year, you can get paid to build sustainable solutions in a community, gain valuable hands on experience and prepare for your future. This full-time AmeriCorps service position offers a great opportunity to make a real impact in the lives of others while building your own knowledge and skillset.
AmeriCorps National members serve the community in direct service and capacity building activities.
What will you do?
The construction crew leader plays an integral part in building and repairing homes. Lead groups of skills and unskilled volunteers and homeowner families in construction activities while maintaining a safe, efficient work environment, thus, developing and enhancing your volunteer management and construction skills.
- Typically serve Tuesday – Saturday on the build site.
- Assist with all aspects of hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping.
- Projects may include new construction, rehabilitation, critical home repair and weatherization projects.
- Lead small groups of volunteers and facilitate safe and positive experiences for everyone working on site.
- Maintain site safety by adhering to Habitat construction safety policies, modeling best practices and guidelines, volunteer education and site monitoring.
Where will you serve?
One of the keys to living a fulfilling life is to look beyond yourself and become part of something larger. A year of service with Habitat for Humanity of Gaston County offers you the opportunity to make a difference by serving families who need a hand up, while learning valuable skills. Join our Habitat family and be part of an amazing mission that transforms lives and communities while building safe, affordable housing solutions with hard-working families in Gaston County. Since its founding in 1988, Habitat for Humanity of Gaston County has constructed 120 new homes in partnership with more than 100 families in need of safe, affordable housing. Gaston County is known for its abundance of outdoor recreation including hiking, canoeing, and biking, provided by the mighty Catawba River and Crowder’s Mountain, to name a couple of beautiful natural resources. www.habitatgaston.org/
Benefits of AmeriCorps service
- Living allowance $15,850 for approximately 10 ½ months of service.
- Segal Education Award of $6,195, upon successful completion of service.
- Health care benefits and enrollment in Employee Assistance Plan.
- Personal and medical leave — approximately 10 days total.
- Possible forbearance or deferment of qualified student loans.
- Child care benefits, if you qualify.
- Worker’s compensation insurance.
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident at least 18 or older and have a high school diploma or GED.
- Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity International and AmeriCorps.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with volunteers, teaching or group facilitation.
- Experience working as a member of a team.
- Basic experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel.
- Current valid driver’s license, a clean driving record and reliable transportation.
- Ability to drive large pick-up trucks (or willingness to learn)
Location: Gastonia, NC
State/Region: North Carolina
Job Type: Volunteer Opportunity
Employment Type: AmeriCorps