Is there an age limit to volunteer?
ReStore community service members must be age 18 or older unless special arrangments have been made with the ReStore Manager.
Is there a minimum amount of hours a day needed to volunteer?
The ReStore prefers community service members to work in four hours shifts. However, special arrangements can be made by emailing the ReStore Manager.
*Please note: Saturdays are the busiest days in the store and tend to fill up quickly. If you schedule a Saturday and do not show up without calling, you will not be able to schedule another Saturday, and you will be removed from any future Saturdays you had scheduled.
Who may do community service at the ReStore?
Those with court-ordered hours from Gaston County
At this time we only take traffic violations
How to get started:
Please complete the community service form or call 704-854-3050 schedule your orientation and start date. All volunteers must pre-schedule their start date with the ReStore Manager; walk-ins are not permitted.
What should I bring on my first day?
- Your paperwork from the court system
- A photo ID (license, passport, school ID)
What should I wear?
- Comfortable, casual clothes that you can work in and don’t mind getting dirty (jeans, athletic pants/shorts, etc.) shorts must be at least mid-thigh in length – no “short-shorts” or “booty shorts”
- Closed-toe, closed-heel shoes such as athletic trainers or work boots. No ballet shoes, Crocs, etc. If you arrive with inappropriate footwear, you will not be permitted to work that day.
- Nametag (given to you by a staff member)
- Jacket/sweatshirt/raincoat – many tasks will require you to be outside, or in a backroom with open doors, so cold/rainy weather may be a factor
What can’t I wear?
- Loose-hanging jewelry
- Anything featuring offensive or explicit slogans, language or images
- Overly-baggy clothing
- Clothing that interferes with your ability to work, including items that you don’t want to get dirty or paint on
- Anything that allows your undergarments to show, i.e. low-rise pants, sheer shirts, etc.
What will I be doing?
Tasks vary day-to-day, but will usually consist of general housekeeping (sweeping, cleaning up and organizing various departments, dusting, cleaning the breakroom and bathrooms, wiping the windows, etc.), sorting donations, pricing items, putting priced items on the floor, creating or breaking down displays, transporting large items to customers’ cars, etc.
What should I do when I arrive to work?
Speak with the ReStore Manager each time you arrive to sign in, and be sure to stop by to sign out when you leave. If you don’t sign out, the hours for that day will not count!
Perform the tasks that are assigned to you. Doing nothing, talking on your cell phone, leaving the store without signing out, etc., will resultin either A) receiving no hours for that day or B) your dismissal from the site.
Tell a manger upon arrival of your first day if you have any physical limitations that will affect your ability to perform particular assignments.
No swearing or inappropriate conversational topics. Should any inappropriate behavior occur, you will be asked to leave immediately.
What is considered inappropriate behavior/grounds for dismissal?
- Defiance/refusal to perform requested tasks
- Confrontational behavior toward staff, volunteers, customers or others performing community service
- Arguing/disputing number of hours accrued with staff
- Leaving site without signing out
- Neglecting or refusing to adhere to clothing requirements
- Talking on cell phone while working
- Hiding out/avoiding doing work
- Foul language/swearing and lewd or explicit conversations
- Consumption of alcohol or nicotine onsite